Mistakes

 As many of you know I teach music in an elementary school.  I LOVE me job and am so excited to share my love of music to these kids.  Well earlier this week I had a 4th grade class that is a harder class because of behavior issues.  The last time I had that class the lesson I had for them was a BIG failure, the kids did not like it, I was scrambling, it was just not good.  So this week when I saw them the first thing I did was apologize to them for how bad my lesson was the last time I had seen them and how I appreciate their patience with me and for being good while the lesson was not good.  Now the reaction I got from these students had me speechless.  They looked at me and said, you are a teacher and you made a mistake.  I said yes and I am an adult and I make mistakes.  I make a lot of mistakes, but because of how amazing you guys were during that awful lesson I was able to redo it and then all the other lessons that week were great!  We then talked about how it is ok to make mistakes and it is ok to admit you make mistakes.  Learn from them and move on.  

Now when I went to this class the teacher warned me they had been very bad that day and that week. They were wonderful students that listened and participated and do everything I asked.  At the end of class I asked the students why there were so good for me but so awful for other teachers, the students then told me it was because I was nice and I talked and cared about them.  I was almost moved to tears by both of these experiences in this class.  To have the opportunity to teach these kids not only music but that you can make mistakes and that as a teacher I might be a hard teacher by making them obey the rules, but I do care about them.

Allows remember that kids can be taught at all times and it is always a great time to teach.  Show them we do make mistakes, show them how to learn from them, and most importantly show them that we care for them.

Hopefully next time I see them they will remember that and be good for me again.

Comments

Popular Posts